Project status

Coordinator
Apr 3, 2011 at 3:56 AM

A little status, i think i ll write one per week :

- Currently there have been no commits on the main source since last sunday, because we are waiting from news from Durrban, who did implement lots of cool things but did not send any code for now. Dont spam his mail, I already did it enough ;)

- Bamyazi , TechCraft 's father, is back with a WP7 port . Currently its available in his dropbox (see his thread), he will commit it as a fork or a separate project.

- Jacoo is tired of waiting for Durrban and made progress in his own fork :  infinite world (without threading) , skybox, new terrain algorythms.

- As of today I m not tired of waiting for Durrban, after all it's not been a week since he made his announces, but I did some new code too, and a small part of it is already in jacoo's fork. If Durrban doesnt make a move in the next few days I ll have to merge jacoo's work in the main source or we will have some developpement fragementation problems.  

- I just added dkfd3vil as developer, he's the lead of http://code.google.com/p/mineworld2 , a good and active infiniminer fork to make an original/custom minecraft inspired game. I did invite him and its team to join us. Welcome aboard !

For newcomers : all this new initiatives are based on my unfinished rewrite, currently sitting in the "newtake" project. Wich is very encouraging for the future of Techcraft !

The techcraft original code is currently still here but when everything will have been reimplemented it will fade out, NewTake will become TechCraftEngine. I may keep a bazzokaExample project for legacy :)

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Lots of work done, always something going on, so here is a small status :

• The Infinite world code is done, stable in single thread mode and still in progress in multithread mode, thanks to Jacoo 's huge investment in time and efforts. 
  • Bamyazi made a tremendous come back on the project, he implemented Ambient Occlusion, several multithreading tentative, redesigned the way we generate and build, and is currently working on lighting.
  • Jacoo did implement the crosshair and selection block .
  • I ve done some more large scale refactoring, performance optimizations.
  • Jacoo readded the trees, water, sand, tuned the terrain generator and is currently working on new biomes. 
  • I implemented a new player class, currently there s no player entity in game it s still the camera that moves, but mouse clicks  are now assigned to player.leftTtool and player.rightTool :  coding new sort of tools other than block adder / block remover is just a matter of adding one small class extending tool with a use method ( see my "Powerdrill" example, removes one column in one click)
  • Raistlinthewiz did help us optimize the code with lots of good suggestions, and recently did the grunt work of changing the block arrays to a flat 1 dimension array. Pay him a visit on his own block engine, http://voxlr.com/.
  • #techcraft IRC channel on freenode has been a success, lots of design discussions happened here.

=> Current objectives : lighting, stable multithreading code, then deleting some duplicate methods and classes ( we ve been keeping alternative versions WorldRenderer /  ChunkRenderer )

=> Next step : Player movement and collisions, decoupling player and camera.

Thanks to all the team ! 

Developer
Apr 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM

good progress guys!

Developer
Apr 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I second that! Amazing progress in such short time!

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Finally i implemented the player collisions (WSAD + Space) . the code is far from perfect in regards to coupling of player and cam, but works fine. The application now starts in player physics mode, press F1 to go in freeCam mode. 

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM

There is basic lighting working in the latest tip on my fork - it doesn't propogate across chunks yet so looks wierd in places

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Latest tip has good  multithreading , lighting ( trunks emit some red color) , chunk.blockat optimization with accessors to N S E W NE NW etc... chunks, and various small code cleanups 

Few Bugs :

- digging makes the affected chunks flash, something related to the way multithreading handles the dirty flag, another flag may be required when digging.

-  I had a thread closed problem visiting the world at a moment, program did hang. ( may be an already fixed bug , as when i saw this an accessor was returning chunk.W instead of East )

- I had an index overflow in dictionary2, by travelling fast in freecam mode (F1) 

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Hi there . Project status, as at least one guy asked on IRC ;)

Project is definitely not dead, but as Jacoo, Bamyazi and me were the only ones commiting some code,  we are now actively working on a concrete game project, in private. We will eventually ( = at some undefined time) put things on opensource there again !  

Of course if someone starts contributing for real, we will assist and maybe even provide more of our own code.

Then there is the complexity aspect : Our new code is way more difficult to understand for beginners, due to the integration with the Ninject dependency injection framework + the Nuclex XNA framework,  those two are now required to build, run, and understand our private version !

I could port this part here on codeplex ( and all the refactoring to xna drawablegamecomponents  that comes with it) but I m not sure our user base will benefit from it. Some feedback here would be appreciated !

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Quick update : we are still actively working on this in private, rewriting , componentizing, experimenting with mobs, physics engines, disk persistence ...

And we still follow this forum and the forks, so if you do something cool with the code and/or need help, we will notice. IRC honestly we don't check, and the chat history our friend raistlin did set up in the past seems dead.

Developer
Jun 11, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Yes, the project is still very much alive in private.

If people following this project want to contribute anything to this open source version, I would be glad to help answer questions.