Understanding it all

May 11, 2011 at 3:00 AM

First i would like to say thank you for the awesome work put into this project.

I'm currently a game development student and was looking to do something quite close to this.  Most of the ground work is already laid out for me, so thanks for that.

I tried to see if anyone was in the IRC chat room hanging out alas no avail there.  However onto my question now, which is a simple yet possibly difficult one at the same time.

I've taken physics and 3d math so i understand most of the mathematics behind this.  I would like to understand what exactly we are doing with the code before i jump in and try to modify anything or break down into what i need.  I guess my newbie programming side is coming out because i can't seem to find where to start and what to move onto when looking at this code, what was built first and following it through.. I guess i could just randomly start somewhere and look through it and have that ah-ha moment where everything comes together but i have not one clue at this moment.

i'm not asking for what each line does, but just a quick point in the right direction would be grateful.

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Hello and welcome .  a quick answer,  as its quite late for me :  be sure to look at the NewTake project,  download the latest entry in the source code tab .  start from the Model/* classes and  SimpleRenderer.cs .

I think the best way to learn and to appreciate our code is to try to write your own block world from scratch, starting with a very naive implementation drawing all faces of all cubes.  

Good luck !

May 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM
enomi wrote:

Hello and welcome .  a quick answer,  as its quite late for me :  be sure to look at the NewTake project,  download the latest entry in the source code tab .  start from the Model/* classes and  SimpleRenderer.cs .

I think the best way to learn and to appreciate our code is to try to write your own block world from scratch, starting with a very naive implementation drawing all faces of all cubes.  

Good luck !

Thanks for the help, i was not able to locate "SimpleRenderer.cs in the project i downloaded it from the February 4.0 conversion release.

The only render file i could find was cube render (is this the same?)

thanks again.

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Edited May 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM

be sure to look at the NewTake project,  download the latest entry in the source code tab

here :

http://techcraft.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/5c1888588e5d

click the download link with the small floppy disk icon

May 23, 2011 at 1:39 AM

What is the concept and purpose behind vector3i and vector3b?

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 2:58 AM

- Use less memory , especially for the byte version

- avoid bugs where you mix block world coordinates / chunk world coords / float coords.

- generally force us to think about what kind of coords we use !

- maybe a small performance gain when multiplying and dividing ints vs floats, but its not sure, and very difficult to check.