Help with Sun - Lens Flare effect...

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought it would be cool to add a visible sun to the game, so I have had a go at adding a "lens flare" effect to the game, I used the xna lens flare sample here:- http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/lens_flare - it's pretty straightforward as it's a DrawableGameComponent

The problem is -even though I am setting the Sun Position of the lens flare effect to the World.SunPos (current position of the sun in the world) - the lens flare doesn't move accross the sky like the sun should, instead it just seems to stay at exactly the same place in the sky :(

Any help with this would be much appreciated..

Thanks you :)

Developer
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Edited Jun 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Hi Darrell,

Nice that you are trying new things with the engine.

If you have added a Sun to the skydomerenderer, you should make sure that there are a rotationX and rotationY that are set in the identity matrix of the world parameter for the currentEffect. I looked at the example code, and the lightPosition will need its X and Y to be rotated I believe. It might be something similar to:

double rotationX = projectedPosition.X * 360 / (2 * Math.PI);

double rotationY = projectedPosition.Y * 360 / (2 * Math.PI);

then you would need a new vector2 at least with x,-y (important that y is inverted) for the sunPos. You could base it on the timeOfDay in the Techcraft code. If you were to put the 2 lines above into Techcraft, you would need to use the _camera.Position instead of the projectedPosition.

We're trying to encourage people to fork the code, and have a go at implementing something new to the engine. If you cant get it completely working, fork the source, and push your code. Time permitting, I can take a look and see where you might need to change the code.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Thanks for your help Jacoo,

I haven't added a sun to the skydome yet, I am just having fun getting the lens flare pp effect working first - Also I should mention I am using a "post process manager" component (found here: http://xna-uk.net/media/p/7486.aspx) which might be useful for anyone out there looking to add pp effects to their game in a structured way.

Unfortunately, my XNA powers are quite limited (non existent?), I'm still learning and am struggling with fundamentals such as matrix's and World's and camera's and projections and Identity's - so pretty much everything related to 3d games programming :) - because of this, I am having a hard time understanding your answer, so I think I will come back and revisit this issue once I have a better grasp of the fundamentals!

I was hoping it was gonna be as easy as setting a simple "Position" parameter for the effect.. Nothing is ever simple :(

Thanks though :)

Developer
Jun 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the reply.

the identity matrix will hold the information on where the object would be in the world. If you calculate it from the _camera.Position, any rotation or translation will rotate it and move it away from the camera. If you rotate the object, but dont translate, it will have a world position the same as the camera. So in the case of the example, it has a position away from the camera.Try then to add some Y amount to it, to see if it moves at all.

The camera is usually what you see in the game window, and in TechCraft and the example, they are using a First Person camera.

A simple PostProcessor could be made in TechCraft. In the draw method, it would be a new draw method just before base.draw in the game1.draw method. A simple rendertarget2D of the viewport and apply some shader effect. There is a little work to do with quads, too.

Again, once there is some code submitted from people, and hopefully activity, the open source version of TechCraft here on CodePlex might have new code committed also.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Hi Thanks again Jacoo,

Well - I gave it a bit more work tonight based on what you have said..  I set the "LightPosition" of the lens effect to be the current World.SunPos * -1 and the lens effect then moves accross the sky like a sun would, starting at the horizon and setting at the opposite horizon!

However - when it sets at the horizon it's well into night mode by that point so it looks silly there being a sun in the sky - also the sun immediately re-appears at the opposite horizon - so there is never a period where it is not in the sky! :(

If i create a branch and check this stuff in - would you be able to have a look at some point - I think I need help with calculating the SunPos based on the time of day - techcraft does this but for some reason this makes the sun behave oddly - when used with the lens effect :(

Developer
Jun 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hi Darrell,

Sure, I'll take a look at your fork. It might take a day or two until I can get a reply, as I'm busy with other things for a while.