Voxeliq Engine (Updated)

Developer
Nov 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

(Updating this post as of 16.03.2012)

Hi there guys

As you may know/remember I was working on a seperate block engine called voxeliq (voxlr at the time being). I'm progressing a lot and wanted to share few assets here.

First of all, I got inspired by techcraft engine a lot though my codebase is completely different then techcraft (and I remember contributing to a few tiny features to techcraft from my codebase - like flatten array technique)

Anyway, I've taken huge progress with my engine and now even techniques used differs from techcraft a lot. Techcraft is using array of blocks per chunks (which my engine was also using it for a long while) though I've now changed it to a single huge block array. And this led to great optimizations. If you want to technical reasons behind, I'm blogging about them on my dev-blog over http://www.voxeliq.org/

Anyway here's a few videos and screenshots from current revision;

Screenshot:

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/voxeliq

Status

The engine is closed source right now and I'm still not sure if I'll go open source one day. Still I'm looking for people interested in to help the project, artist, music composers or even developers so we may go for an indie game using it. Message me please if you're interested.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Hey old friend, of course we remember you. Ourselves (= the new team) we have closed sourced our things and are still working on it. 

It will be interesting to read your code ! 

Developer
Nov 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Oh hi there!,

any chances that i can hit u back in irc?

Developer
Nov 25, 2011 at 6:45 AM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Hi there!
How have you been?
Developer
Nov 25, 2011 at 6:51 AM

nice i'd like to get in contact with you guys.

Developer
Mar 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I've updated the voxeliq website: http://www.voxeliq.org/

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Great. Good luck with the voxeliq engine

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So I guess you guys no more work on techraft or any similar?

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

There hasn't been much activity around Techcraft. It would be interesting to add in some missing features to this project at some time in the near future.

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Nice maybe you want to check voxeliq too? 

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Sure. How would I do that?

Developer
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

sent u a pm!

Developer
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I've updated the first message..

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Hello raistlin/bonesoul, like I like to call you :) 

Saw your blog & forum, this is very nice ! Nice graphical explanations and all. Fun thing, I'm an ipBoard expert now, using it at work, with SSO and custom skinning, the full monty !

Im still working on a cube engine (in fact in last months i didn't have time, but i'm still in the private project), it's effectively using the big array like Slaihne (on the client side at least ... )

Just one question, is voxeliq open source or closed source now ?

Developer
Mar 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM

In the last minute I decided to keep it closed source for a while and so effectively it's closed sourced right now. 

Heh IPBoard is a great community framework :)

Developer
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Edited Dec 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Cool ,

I downloaded the source, opened the XNA sln, debug, but I m not able to run it, unable to find skydome fbx . 

Developer
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Please issue an git pull origin master and retry. Fixed the projects;https://github.com/raistlinthewiz/voxeliq/commit/840e8eeaeb29a6f708ebd6ec5c50d3eb4c4ef0d9

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Works now. But IMO the current build doesn't show the quality of your engine : 

- way too much Blur ( a toggle to reduce disable it would be nice !) 

- very small view/ number of chunks, and no apparent way to increase it (some keys to increase maybe)

- Missing indication of keyboard shortcuts  for fly & fog (just write fly(f1) ) 

- Missing a shadow on text to be able to read it on white background 

- tree leaves are in column as a trunk, really weird ! 

I m sure you have a very optimized code you just need to show it :) 

Developer
Dec 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

- aggree on blur :)

- just updated the chunk range :)

- keyboard hints should be over your console :)

- working atm on graphs and stats code to improve visuals

- ignore them, wasn't complete yet.

Just git pull origin master please :)