GunCraft - another game using TechCraft engine

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Talking of games using TechCraft...

Please consider supporting the GunCraft kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/630555339/guncraft-voxel-based-first-person-shooter?ref=live

Check out gameplay video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClABWdwFiDA and our great MW3: Vet and N00b parody trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osly3J_Bg4o

And yes there are still some lighting bugs in there!

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I had no idea GunCraft was this TechCraft engine also. A few clips in the gameplay video show the grass textures from TechCraft I think. Great spotting thezman!

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Its not great spotting :-) I'm the dev.... 

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Edited Mar 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Congrats Z man, you have a nice product and kickstarter strategy, with t shirts and everything, very pro !  

And I know what I say, I m web developer in the AAA game industry now ! 

I'm still involved with another private voxel project but my new day job career takes a lot of time and energy !

Concerning us the techcraft authors, we can say we already did kickstart your project with the time we spent coding techcraft :) 

Just for curiosity, did you base your code on the newtake / did you build on my tool OO design for weapons ?

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Yes, congrats Z man. I wish you and all others involved in GunCraft as much success as is possible. Its a great hook on FPS and 3D Voxels combined.

If you need a play tester, count me in :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The code is based on the NewTake stuff - though there are times I wish I had gone earlier to avoid the lighting issues... but we were green back then :-)

The tool code is much the same... we ended up doing our own OO weapon stuff.. now you mention it I probably could have layered tools in there or merged them but at the time it was.

We added ray cast weapons, grenade type weapons and removed the dynamic load/save and all of the terrain generation (our levels are fixed size hand crafted) and I just added block based particles... so its moved on from the start point quite a lot. Of course even if I could separate and merge in some of those are our 'competitive advantage'... if I put them in the source before we launch you know what would happen :-)

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Great to see the engine being used - best of luck with the kickstarter - i really like the sound of the project.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

In my very first version of techcraft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4mLCKBMEI - no game is complete without Bazooka's and you guys look like you've done it in style :)

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The bazooka code is still mostly yours I think.. Though we now have 'block' particle effects for the breaking blocks and for head/body killshots. 

We now have added raycast weapons for the guns and last week I added grenades that correctly bounce around the environment. These are all pretty new so are not in the current gameplay videos.

Of course the whole thing is multiplayer using the fantastic Lidgren - we've had a few 12-14 person games and though there is work to do everyone has had fun. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Looking forward to playing! - Does Lidgren work with XBOX Live now ? I thought it was windows only...might have to look into that if it does

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Congrats for the funding ! The new gameplay session video changes everything in my opinion.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM

No Lidgren is still PC only. However the 'send message' API is very very similar to the one on xbox live. 

So we use Live on Xbox and lidgren on PC through a wrapper... right now all our network testing is done on PC because its easier to get testers there - no $99 account needed. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Congratulations thezman on reaching your kickstarter goal. I wish you and the rest of the team good luck on the project.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yup congrats on reaching your goal - looking forward to playing the Beta now ...hurry up and finish it already :)